[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed May 26 07:38:22 PDT 2010

Hi Peter,

> However doing a 'binary' user-space archive that people could install
> in their own home directories would not be too complex (it's basically
> a .tar.gz of a rpcemu directory after the compile has finished).
> Statically linking the compile would avoid the need for people to
> install the allegro libraries (and other dependancies). This could
> probably be done straight away, but I'm not sure it's that useful to
> people?

I think if the `install from source' instructions are simple enough,
e.g. a list of packages to ensure are installed for common
distributions followed by

    tar xzf ... && cd ... && ./configure && make all check

then it's best to have users do that.  Having them run binaries built
elsewhere may just add extra workload in supporting them due to issues
that wouldn't occur if they built from source.

I agree, long-term, seeing a .deb packaged for Debian and Ubunti would
be great.  :-)

Cheers,
Ralph.