[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

David david at ukpoets.net
Wed May 26 09:24:04 PDT 2010

In article
<AANLkTimqK9H-7jMOoUKEA_V5W16vrw5_8qiZD-y270yl at mail.gmail.com>, Ollie
Clark <ol at ollieclark.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2010 14:36, Bob Latham <bob at mightyoak.org.uk> wrote:
> > In article <20100526131427.GA5315 at spod.org>,   Peter Howkins
> > <rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> >
> >> And yes, the Linux version does suport networking, though it's
> >> very very involved to setup.
> >
> > So I assume that also means the windows version does not do
> > networking.

> You assume correctly.

> > Not wishing to sound negative or unappreciative but I'm surprised
> > there's much interest in any computer if it can't network. Is this
> > situation going to change or is RPCemu not wishing to tread on
> > commercial toes?

> It's not quite that bad. You can use Host FS as an intermediary so
> you use Windows to fetch or put things on network resources into Host
> FS and then access them from RPCEmu. I use it like this fairly
> frequently - it's a bit of a pain but not a show stopper. You're
> right though that it would be more convenient to have networking
> support in RPCEmu. And if you want to do email on RPC Emu then you're
> probably out of luck at the moment.

I've not managed yet to get RPCEmu (RO3.7) to network on Ubuntu. I'd
like to so as to use Pluto for email and newsgroups. Browsing is better
on the host and transfer of stuff isn't too onerous.

If networking is difficult to do for RPCEmu, how about any nice kind
developers writing POPstar & NewsHound equivalents for the various host
OSes, using the Host FS directory as the location of the News.folder
and MailDir? Then such as Pluto will be usable.

--

David - david atcost ukpoets fullstop net