[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Wed May 26 09:48:21 PDT 2010

In article <511d868ea4jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk>, Jim Lesurf
<jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <20100526141250.GB5315 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
> <rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:

> > From a personal point of view, something that appears in Archive isn't
> > a replacement for proper documentation. If you can give me an idea of
> > which areas of the documents (on the website) arn't up to scratch I'll
> > have a go at rewriting them, or feel free to to investigate this
> > yourself?

> I'll have another look and think about it. Initially I'm concerned with
> the simple minded user like myself. There were two points that were
> 'gotchas' when I started which were discussed a while ago.

I've just had another look around the webpages with they 'eye' of someone
approaching this as a potential new user (and one as ignorant as myself!)

I appreciate that the pages are in a state of flux at present due to the
current activity. However the result is currently quite confusing to
newcomers as the pages have the pink-background inserts that warn that much
of the contents is now not to be relied upon, but it isn't clear how
someone would now install from source on a linux setup. Viewed in this way
it raises three questions.

1) What do you do before trying to compile and produce rpcemu from the
source tgz? Do you still download and install the allego items as per with
the non-spoon version? Or do you do something else?

2) What are the actual set of instructions to then produce a working binary
version from the source tgz?

3) Which of the following instructions do you then follow? Or what others
do you follow?

I'd be happy to help write updated documents for such things. But at
present I'd be guessing!  :-)

I guess the new Linux instructions should really then be linked to the box
next to the one where you download the spoon edition linux source tgz.

Slainte,

Jim