[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Steve Fryatt lists at stevefryatt.org.uk
Wed May 26 12:11:49 PDT 2010

On 26 May, David wrote in message
    <511d8ac465david at ukpoets.net>:

> I've not managed yet to get RPCEmu (RO3.7) to network on Ubuntu. I'd like
> to so as to use Pluto for email and newsgroups. Browsing is better on the
> host and transfer of stuff isn't too onerous.

Networking definitely works on Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.10; I think I've used it on
8.06 as well, but it was a while ago.

You "just" need to follow the instructions that were posted in various
places -- when I did it the first time, I just worked through them
methodically and at the end I had a network connection.

> If networking is difficult to do for RPCEmu, how about any nice kind
> developers writing POPstar & NewsHound equivalents for the various host
> OSes, using the Host FS directory as the location of the News.folder and
> MailDir? Then such as Pluto will be usable.

I can't help thinking the time would be better spent sorting the
documentation on how to set the networking up, or simplifying the process a
little from a user's POV..

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/