[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Thu May 27 07:37:56 PDT 2010

Hi Peter,

> http://www.marutan.net/rpcemuspoon/linuxcompile.html
>
> Please feel free to point out any ommisions or other improvements you
> think would be worth adding.

    Run the 'configure' program choosing from the following optional
    parts of code.

How about

    Run the ./configure script, optionally choosing to enable one or
    more of these compile-time features.  Note, `--' is two minus signs.

    sudo synaptic
        Install the project dependancies, this is the part that varies
        the most between Linux distributions and other OSes.. Run the
        Ubuntu package manager (with root priveledges), and install the
        following packages (and their dependancies),
        'liballegro4.2-dev'.

(Two full stops:  OSes..)  Can we not spell out the packages for Ubuntu
at least?  This worked for me on a clean 9.10 install.  Tell them that
extra packages will be selected for installation.

    sudo apt-get install gcc make libc6-dev liballegro4.2-dev

If we're not going to check the success of each command, e.g. with &&,
then the user needs to be told to look out for errors, and how to
distinguish those from the normal chatter.

    tar xvfz rpcemu-<version>.tar.gz

Drop the `v'?  The user doesn't need to see all that.

    make

`make -s'?  Again, lessens the output that may swamp a novice.  And tell
them not to worry about warnings but to make sure there's nothing like

    make: *** [all] Error ...

at the end.  Again, using && and || might make this easier.

How about wrapping these commands in a script, including working out the
latest version of the tar file, so the Unix user can get a script and
run that?  I wouldn't normally suggest it for Unix users, but some of
these are going to be RISC OS users who know little of Unix or the
command line.

Cheers,
Ralph.