[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Peter Howkins rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net
Thu May 27 08:52:37 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 03:37:56PM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

>     Run the ./configure script, optionally choosing to enable one or
>     more of these compile-time features.  Note, `--' is two minus signs.

I prefer the wording of this and have updated to it.

>     sudo synaptic
>         Install the project dependancies, this is the part that varies
>         the most between Linux distributions and other OSes.. Run the
>         Ubuntu package manager (with root priveledges), and install the
>         following packages (and their dependancies),
>         'liballegro4.2-dev'.
>
> (Two full stops:  OSes..)  Can we not spell out the packages for Ubuntu
> at least?  This worked for me on a clean 9.10 install.

Erm, I have done, the only dependancy on freshly installed 10.04 is
'liballegro4.2-dev' (and it's sub-dependancies).

> How about wrapping these commands in a script, including working out the
> latest version of the tar file, so the Unix user can get a script and
> run that?  I wouldn't normally suggest it for Unix users, but some of
> these are going to be RISC OS users who know little of Unix or the
> command line.

If they know little about the host OS they're running on, then I suggest
that supporting them has gone far beyond the remit of this project or this
list. Whilst a RISC OS user might look to RPCEmu as a 'RISC OS' platform,
neglecting knowledge of the OS underneath it is just going to result in
pain for them in the long term.

The instructions on the page are what I would describe as 'regular'
compile from source instructions, what you'll see on thousands of projects
(./configure make). A lot is gained by not altering our instructions that
much, many new/moderate Linux/UNIX users will understand the process with
practically no assistance, as oposed to changing them to 'simplify' it.

Hence I really don't feel the need to supress the output of various
commands, whilst not always useful, it's always informative. Also how many
user question have we had on this list saying "it's too complicated to
compile?"

Peter

--
Peter Howkins