[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Thu May 27 09:37:17 PDT 2010

In article <20100527155635.GB27534 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
<rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 03:52:17PM +0100, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> >
> > One very minor matter to report at this point. Just nit-picking, but
> > I'll mention it in case it is of use to anyone else.
> >
> > The first table is fine. It is the second one I am referring to. At
> > first I thought this was nested tables, but it seems instead to use
> > <pre> as I describe above.
> >
> > Above said I appreciate this may well not matter to most people.

> In that case I shall leave updating it as an excerise for the reader ;-)

That is fair enough.  :-)  Although I would only try improving/altering
after I've found out if my interpretation is correct - or if I find I am
baffled.  ;->

At present I'm not certain the layout is correctly rendered for the intent,
but not sure why.

Hope to try installing on both my old (crunchbang) and new (xubuntu) laptop
tomorrow. Will know better once I've done that, and then my comments may
have evaporated or clarified. May then risk trying to do an alternative
form of the instructions for people to consider if I think it might be
useful.

> For this document having it look correct on the Host operating system
> browser (as opposed to risc os apps) is more important.

I agree it isn't a concern that it may look odd in TechWriter!  :-)

However I do tend to think that with HTML the layout should be driven by
the content relationships. And that the table is specifically to allow the
vertical and horizontal layout of items to be via their relationships. So
freeing this as much as possible from things like text reflows when someone
needs to do something like have bigger or smaller text on a different
screen size. This can be for various reasons - e.g. because they have an
minor eyesight problem (like myself) or a display of a size and shape that
differs a lot from the author's.

Slainte,

Jim