[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Thu May 27 12:33:48 PDT 2010

On 27 May, jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk wrote:

> Hope to try installing on both my old (crunchbang) and new (xubuntu)
> laptop tomorrow.

I couldn't resist having a quick try (using my old laptop) this evening.
:-)

I downloaded the tar.gz ok. But when I tried to use the 'tar xvfz...'
command I got the errors

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1

ls confirmed I was in the correct place and that the rpcemu file was
present.

Since I am using ROX I then used the ROX app 'Archive' and this quite
happily extracted the files as I think tar should have done. No idea what I
was doing wrong with the tar command in a terminal.

I then successfully did the ./configure --enable-dynarec

I then used make and it generated the rpcemu executable, etc.

At this point I departed from the 'totally new user' script as I decided to
try copying across the items I had in the hostfs directory in the 0.8.2
version into the one in 0.8.6 whilst I was also copying the rom image for
RO4.02. I hoped this would mean I could short-cut having to download the
basic RO4 !Boot and importing apps.

The emulator then started up. But I could not figure out how to get it to
boot from !Boot in the 'host' filing system. I therefore replaced the
1-byte 'hd4' image with the 50MB blank one in my old laptop 0.8.2 and
copied !Boot into that. This seemed to work OK and it now seems to boot
correctly - at least as a first quick try.

Am I correct in that EmuFS is not used by the 0.8.6 spoon version? The
emufs files aren't in the poduleroms directory, having copies there crashes
the startup, and when running 0.8.6 seems to not know it exists? (Which I
guess makes sense if they aren't in the poduleroms directory! :-) )

Also it occurs to me that the webpages I've read on 0.8.6 don't seem to
explain how to fetch and install the !Boot. Is this an omission or have I
just missed the relevant page or section as I did the above quickly?

I'll experiment some more tomorrow, but despite the above puzzles it seems
now to work as well as 0.8.2. on my old laptop. Once more confident I'll go
on to install on my new one which has more RO apps, etc.

Slainte,

Jim