[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Fri May 28 05:00:14 PDT 2010

Hi Peter,

> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 07:49:39AM +0200, Frank de Bruijn wrote:
> > The instructions were wrong for the file you downloaded.
> >
> > The filename rpcemu-0.8.6.tar.gz suggests the file is a tar
> > compressed with gzip. It isn't.
>
> Erm, yes it is.
> I'm not sure how you've managed to de-gzip it on the way, browser
> options?

I think the web server may be misconfigured and giving out incorrect
headers.

    $ foo() { env -u http_proxy curl -sSI "$@" | egrep -i '^content-'; }
    $
    $ foo http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bc/bc-1.06.tar.gz
    $

FSF's headers are saying the file is of type gzip, the length of the
(gzip'd) file is 278926 , and here it is...

marutan.net is saying the file is of type gzip, we're shipping it to you
encoded with gzip, and that the encoded length is 306784.  IOW, marutan
is saying it's gzip-ing a gzip'ed file before sending it to me.  The
user agent is reversing the temporary, for shipping only, gzip encoding
and intends to leave the user with the original gzip'd file.  But
because marutan didn't double-gzip it, it only claimed to, the user is
left with a non-gzip'd file.

That some UAs correctly gunzip and others don't is a seperate issue.

    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.11

Cheers,
Ralph.