[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Fri May 28 04:58:43 PDT 2010

In article <511e6f92c5rpcemu-sub at aconet.nl>, Frank de Bruijn
<rpcemu-sub at aconet.nl> wrote:
> Earlier I wrote:
> > In article <20100528084258.GA16326 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
> >    <rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> > > I'm not sure how you've managed to de-gzip it on the way, browser
> > > options?

> > Using NetSurf (this morning, just before I wrote my previous message)
> > the resulting file is a 1510K tarball, no compression.

> And using Firefox on Ubuntu 9.10 I get a 299K gzipped tarball.

> So make sure you don't use NetSurf if you want to receive an exact copy
> of gzipped files.

This raises two questions in my mind.

1) Why is NetSurf doing this?

2) Do we need to warn potential users?

I routinely put up zip archives (made with sparkfs) and download them again
with NetSurf to check they work OK. They do, and in such cases NetSurf
doesn't seem to tamper with them at all.

BTW Just checked and Oregano2 happily downlaods the gzipped tarball (300K
as the size shown by the RO filer, not the bigger 'NetSurf' version!)

Slainte,

Jim