[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Sat May 29 05:00:21 PDT 2010

On 27 May, jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk wrote:
> In article <20100527155635.GB27534 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
> <rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 03:52:17PM +0100, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> > >
> > > One very minor matter to report at this point. Just nit-picking, but
> > > I'll mention it in case it is of use to anyone else.
> > >
> > > The first table is fine. It is the second one I am referring to. At
> > > first I thought this was nested tables, but it seems instead to use
> > > <pre> as I describe above.
> > >
> > > Above said I appreciate this may well not matter to most people.

> > In that case I shall leave updating it as an excerise for the reader
> > ;-)

I've now had a try at altering the way a table is used to layout some of
the instructions. The rough result is shown at

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/NewInstructions.html

It obviously isn't a full and detailed set of instructions. And I expect it
has mistakes! But it is just provided to indicate the approach I had in
mind when I made my earlier comments about layout, etc.

The main point is that the left-hand column that gives the actual commands
uses <pre> to prevent line breaking, but the right-hand column of comments
and explanation should 'flow'. So keeping things in view for a wider range
of browser window widths and font sizes. Should not now rely on <pre> to
ensure comments have a vertical alignment beside the commands they relate
to.

I also experimented with colour to try and hint at the relative status of
portions.

Slainte,

Jim