[Rpcemu] Patch: Make HostFS indicate *Opt is unimplemented.

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Mon May 31 01:29:41 PDT 2010

In article <20100530183733.GB22730 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
<rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 09:21:57AM +0100, Jim Lesurf wrote:

> > Pardon my for taking this off at a tangent and asking what might be an
> > awkward question based on my ignorance/innocence. However since I've
> > just found and reported various apparent 'issues' with hostfs I am
> > wondering - why 0.8.6 doesn't use EmuFS?

> As mentioned about a week ago.

> http://www.riscos.info/pipermail/rpcemu/2010-May/000935.html

Sorry to be so dumb, but reading the above again I still don't follow the
reason as I know nothing of the previous history of development or 'Arcem'.
I can see that it tells me there were reasons, but have no idea what they
were! However this is irrelevant if - as I think I now understand - we are
moving towards hostfs being able to do all the things EmuFS did and which I
have asked about. Thanks.

> > With 0.8.2 TechWriter saves files with filetypes OK via EmuFS, but it
> > doesn't with 0.8.6 via hostfs. I can also !Boot from 0.8.2 EmuFS, but
> > not 0.8.6 hostfs.

> This is fixed on the current development HEAD, and will be released with
> 0.8.7

Ok, thanks. I appreciate it may be too early to say, but if you can
sometime it would be useful to know when this might appear. Failing that
saying something general like it will be 'many weeks or more' or 'probably
in just a few weeks' would be helpful from my POV.

My reason for asking is that I have the problem of trying to make Archive
articles as 'up to date' as I can, but there is usually a 'publication
cycle' delay well over a month! There is already one article based on a
general assessment of 0.8.2 which will appear without dealing with 0.8.6.
Alas this is a drawback of printed media that you always are 'out of date'
for those who are involved.  :-/

Above said, I can base my next article on rpcemu on 0.8.6 and say that the
changes you've explained will be in 0.8.7.

> > With 0.8.2 I also get a 'drive icon' that lets me read (and write if I
> > so choose) files from my Linux /home, etc. But 0.8.6 doesn't do this.

> If you're desperate for similar functionality.

> cd rpcemu/hostfs ln -s ~ homedir

> This creates a 'symbolic link' from a folder called 'homedir' in hostfs
> back to $HOME (~).

> But please remember the caveat on the webpage, "all files used with it
> should be well backed up before using them with RPCEmu.", this now
> counts for the files in your homedir too.

OK, thanks. Warning noted. Is it possible with such a link to make it 'read
only' to protect files from accidental trashing? I've found it useful to
use DeskEdit to read various non-rpcemu files even when not wanting to make
any changes to them. The way 0.8.2 lets you set read and write
independently in the cfg file is quite useful as I can turn writability on
or off as I choose.

In article <20100530184117.GE22730 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
   <rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 09:21:57AM +0100, Jim Lesurf wrote:

> > I can also !Boot from 0.8.2 EmuFS, but not 0.8.6 hostfs.

> Sorry, missed this bit in previous reply.

> *configure filesystem hostfs *configure boot

Ah! That's good news - as well as causing me to say "Blast!" :-)  There is
(now, was?) a statement on the webpage saying you couldn't yet boot from
hostfs so I moved things about and am now booting from the hd4 image! When
I get a chance I'll try the above and move back.

I will also at some point try expanding the page I wrote on how to install,
etc. I've not had any comments (yet) on the brief page I already put up,
but would welcome some. All being well, the page will at least help me get
up to date and accurate as a basis for future Archive items on rpcemu!

Apologies again for being ignorant, and for asking so many dumb questions.
I appreciate this can be irritating. Still, I hope it will allow me to
eventually write about this in a way that will make sense to other newbies
- and encourage them to try rpcemu!

Slainte,

Jim