[Rpcemu] RPCEmu 0.8.7

Peter Howkins rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net
Sat Sep 4 04:59:27 PDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 08:33:27AM +0100, Dave Symes wrote:
> Right, have set up an install with RO 4.02 from the above link and 0.8.7
>
> Put everything required in place. Castle modules etc, etc.
> Reconfigured Boot networking.
>
> *ifconfig -a  now returns.
>
> *ifconfig -a
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> rpcem0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
> 1500
>         inet 192.168.0.11 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>         ether 06:02:03:04:05:06
>
> So that's correct.

OK, so that does seem to suggest that the Virtually Free !Boot is as
'broken' [1] as the one on the .iso on the ROL site.

[1] I have no idea what is actually causing the problem yet. Missing
something, added something, different something, decompression issue, bug
in RPCEmu, etc etc.

> But I still cannot get a network connection, even though rpcemu appears to
> be bridged okay.

OK there's one further caveat that I've been able to finally quantify.
This may be of use to Stefan Huber too.

In an aparent windows bug, it appears that the bridge interface created
(when you selected the two interfaces and clicked 'Bridge Connections')
*doesn't* work properly after a Host System reboot.

As such, each time you boot the machine, delete the existing network
bridge (in 'network connections') and recreate it, before running RPCEmu.

Peter

--
Peter Howkins
peter.howkins at marutan.net