[Rpcemu] RPCEmu 0.8.7

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 09:03:58 PDT 2010

In article <20100904115927.GA20102 at spod.org>,
   Peter Howkins <rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 08:33:27AM +0100, Dave Symes wrote:

[Snip]

> > But I still cannot get a network connection, even though rpcemu
> > appears to be bridged okay.

> OK there's one further caveat that I've been able to finally quantify.
> This may be of use to Stefan Huber too.

> In an aparent windows bug, it appears that the bridge interface created
> (when you selected the two interfaces and clicked 'Bridge Connections')
> *doesn't* work properly after a Host System reboot.

> As such, each time you boot the machine, delete the existing network
> bridge (in 'network connections') and recreate it, before running RPCEmu.

> Peter

Right, this is getting silly, but I did the deed and lo and behold, my emu
install has networking, not only Internet, but LAN with ShareFS to my
other RO machines.

Well wadyknow! RPCEmu and networking... Never ever managed that on the
Ubuntu install.

Problem.
Re connecting and looking at the Bridge status I see it's no longer
connecting by my manual TCP/IP settings, but has gone DHCP, but I'll look
in to that later.

I'm writing this as Win XP is rebooting...
Now that is interesting, I must try it a few more times  just to check,
but I still have RPCEmu networking active after a Cold XP reboot.

Problem.
Even though it's shown as working it's only semi working and DHCP has
assigned a new IP number.

Close RPCEmu.
Delete Network Bridge again.

Select my Network connection and rpcemu. Create the Bridge Connection.
Run RPCEmu, and yes full speed networking has returned.

Test again, all the above happens again.

So it seems you are correct Peter.
What a PITA.

Back to the re-created Bridge and its TCP/IP properties.
Yes it is possible to get the networking to work with manual configs, but
something needs noting.
The IP address used in TCP/IP must not be the same address as the one used
for the RPCEmu networking setup (11)

Unlike the Windows Network connection that requires the IP to be the same
as the computer IP.

Unfortunately every time after deleting the Network Bridge etc, then
re-creating it, DHCP is the default, so any manual setting are lost.

Luckily for me this is not a problem, all the machines (9) on my home
network are manually assigned an IP and the Router has been assigned a
range of addresses (15 and on) it can use outside those reserved ones, so
there's no trampling on any existing network configs.

It has been an interesting exercise this afternoon.
Not sure I've achieved much, except to confirm your thoughts on the
problem.

As you said.
Yes networking with rpcemu does work, but after a Host reboot, delete then
re-create the Network Bridge.

Dave

I'm going to try something else this evening... If it works I'll write, If
not... I won't.
D.

--

Dave Triffid