[Rpcemu] Socket emulation in RPCEmu

Alan Buckley alan_baa at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 4 06:52:01 PDT 2011

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the
underlying host OS internet stack by intercepting
the RISC OS Socket SWIs.

As I know there isn’t any other developer time for
this I thought I’d at least have a look at it myself.

I have found where I can intercept the SWIs and
can see how a lot of the calls can be passed on
almost unchanged to the host OS socket library.

I’m sure more complicated problems will occur
later, but I wonder if anyone can help with my
first problems.

1. How do I convert from an address in RISC OS
to a real address in the program so I can pass
addresses on to the underlying call?

2. I will need to return pointers to memory
in the emulator to the calling program in
RISC OS (e.g. errors + various socket structures).
How do I allocate myself this memory from
within RPC emu? And once allocated how do
I translate the address for RISC OS?

Regards,
Alan