[Rpcemu] Well really.

Steve (ROOL) srevill at riscosopen.org
Thu Nov 10 14:04:10 PST 2011

On 10 Nov, Richard Walker <richardwalker at letterboxes.org> wrote:
> I wasn't necessarily thinking of the ROOL bounty scheme - it was more of
> a general comment.  The ROOL scheme is obviously aimed at RISC OS 5,
> rather than RPCEmu.

Hi,

That's true. We're certainly extremely pleased to see the progress that's
happened with RPCEmu over the years and it aligns very nicely with our
objectives of having a completely free RISC OS emulation solution that
people from outside the community can try out to see what it's all about.

Having said all that, the bounty scheme on the ROOL site is specifically
about RISC OS 5 and not the right place (just yet) for third party
components. One day we might broaden the scope but right now there are some
pretty fundamental areas of RISC OS which are in dire need of attention so
that's what the scheme is hoping to motivate.

Plus, core RISC OS development struggles to gain any traction because of the
requirement for the (never to be free, sadly) DDE Tools and having to build
on RISC OS. RPCEmu has a key advantage in that the build tools and
environment are portable so, in theory at least, it should be easier for
RPCEmu to attract developers.

I'd put NetSurf in a similar boat; it's a great bit of software and pretty
much a must-have. But projects such as these can easily have a "donate here"
scheme of their own if they desire - there's no reason to tie this into the
niche ROOL site.

Thanks,

Steve

--