[Rpcemu] [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Re: RISC OS 5.17 benchmarked against 4.02

george greenfield george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 08:46:54 PST 2012

In message <33bcd1e752.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
          Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 30 Oct 2012, Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 30 Oct 2012, george greenfield <george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > Any guidance on how to do the 5.17>5.19 upgrade would be
>> > appreciated: it's a year since I did the first install from scratch,
>> > which was from the then-current ROOL Emulator stick, so was fairly
>> > straightforward (AFAICR). I presume there's more to it than simply
>> > replacing the 517 ROM with a 519 ROM in the Roms folder....
>>
>> As a first step, I would try just that. If it produces boot errors
>> then you may need to upgrade the boot sequence, to match.
>
> Sorry, please disregard the message above. It was trapped, in the queue,
> when my laptop hibernated during a power-cut. It flew away, unnoticed,
> when I revisited the same laptop, during another power-cut, today.
>
> OT: I live in Ghana, where normally the power supply only marginally
> exceeds the demand. Recently, pirates attacked a vessel, off the West
> African coast at Lomé and, in its efforts to escape capture, the vessel
> dragged its anchor across the undersea pipeline, which conveys gas from
> Nigeria to Ghana. The pipeline is now under repair. Meanwhile, Ghana has
> lost about 20% of its power generation capacity, hence we have many
> scheduled (and some unscheduled) power outages. At least the weather is
> bright and sunny!
>
> Tony

Sorry not to get back to you earlier, Tony: because of your home
address (I suspect) my PC email software made strenuous efforts to
persuade me that your message should be ignored! However, resorting to
good old RISC OS and Messenger Pro, here I am! Interesting to hear
about the vagaries of the power supply in Ghana; one tends to take so
much for granted living somewhere like the UK. That said, the way our
nuclear power station building programme is (not) going, the same
problem could be a feature of life here before very much longer. As
you say, you've got the weather; here it's quarter to five in the
afternoon, drizzling lightly, growing dark and around 3 degrees C.
Nice to hear from you off-topic so to speak; all the best,

George

--
george greenfield