[Rpcemu] RO 5.20 RPCEmu networking problem

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 06:13:44 PDT 2013

In article <ee87f47753.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>,
   Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 8 Aug 2013, Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > Right, one last try from the beginning, if it fails then it's in to
> > the rubbish bin.

> Or down to the pub :)

Unfortunately not allowed alcohol drinkies.

> > I've taken a RPCEmu 0.8.10 that was 5.19 and upgraded it to 5.20 as
> > noted in Steve's posting, step by step and booting inbetween.
> >
> > The only things I've added to this install are Zap, Verma and SparkFS.
> >
> > I've added the two required RPCEmu Networking pieces... Merged !System
> > and added AutoSense to the place noted in the RPCEmu networking
> > instructions. That's: "!Boot.Resources.Configure.!InetSetup.AutoSense"
> >
> > Assuming that still is the place for 5.nn versions.

> It is the same here.

> > Using the Boot.Configuration.Networking tool, configured everything
> > the same as the RPCEmu 0.8.10 RO 4.20, 4.39, 6.20 installs that work.
> >
> > Reboot...
> > Lets give it a try.
> > RPCEmu toolbar Settings-Networking shows rpcemu as the bridge name
> > (Correct).

> There is a bug in the Settings > Networking... dialogue, in that the
> radio button is always 'Off', when the dialogue is opened. Try setting
> to 'Ethernet Bridging' then 'OK', just to make sure that it has been set
> (the next time the dialogue is opened, it will show 'Off' again).

Thanks, I am aware of that little bug*** so have been through that process
just to make sure, many times.

> Here, C:/Program Files/RPCEmu/rpc.cfg contains

>    bridgename = rpcemu
>    mouse_twobutton = 0
>    network_type = ethernetbridging
>    mouse_following = 1
>    cdrom_type = 0
>    cdrom_enabled = 0
>    refresh_rate = 60
>    stretch_mode = 1
>    sound_enabled = 1
>    vram_size = 2
>    cpu_type = SA110
>    mem_size = 256
>    cpu_idle = 1

Mine looks like this...

cpu_idle = 0
mouse_twobutton = 0
bridgename = rpcemu
network_type = ethernetbridging
mouse_following = 1
cdrom_type = 1
cdrom_enabled = 1
blit_optimisation = 0
refresh_rate = 65
stretch_mode = 0
sound_enabled = 1
vram_size = 2
cpu_type = SA110
mem_size = 128

FWIW. I edited a copy so my entries were the same as yours, but no change.

> > Now I'll try and Ping the router.
> > Nope "Host is down"  100% packet loss.
> >
> > Ping another machine on the LAN
> > Fails.
> >
> > Ping the RPCEmu IP address, that works, ha bloody ha, ha.

> Can you ping RPCEmu by _name_? If not, there may be something amiss with
> the Resolver. Does *rmreinit resolver make any difference? Does Verma
> show it Active? What does *unplug show? Does *show <Inet$Resolvers> lead
> to your router?

Cannot Ping "rpcemu" it fails.
Verma shows Resolver 0.69 Active.
*rmreinit resolver doesn't make any change.
*Unplug shows:
No modules unplugged.

*show <Inet$Resolvers> Leads to the Router address 192.168.0.1

> I posted the results of *show inet* and *ifconfig -a to our NG
> discussion. Do you still see something similar?

Yes, same results.

> > But nothing will get out from the RO 5.20.
> >
> > Recheck the settings...
> > Rechecked...
> >
> > Rebooted whole Win 7 computer just to make sure the Bridging is fresh.
> > Tried again.
> > Failed.

> Is there a Win7 firewall setting which needs to be changed?

As I posted a bit back, I have modified the W7 firewall to permit RPCEmu
through... Both Private and Public.

> > It appears that the 5.20 networking setup is not seeing the rpcemu
> > bridge, and yes rpcemu bridging is working, I've just checked and
> > tested it.
> >
> > Additionally...
> > All the other (None 5.nn) RPCEmus network correctly.
> > The end?

> Not closing-time yet!

I'm totally out of ideas...

> Tony

Thanks for that input Tony appreciated, but still no Coconut.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid