[Rpcemu] RPCEmu and RO 5.20

Tony Moore old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 9 10:36:41 PDT 2013

I've just installed RPCEmu 0.8.10 / RO 5.20, from scratch. As the work
proceeded I made some notes, which I'm posting below, in case they may
be of general interest.

Tony

The following actions are performed on a Windows machine:

1  Download
   http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/cgi/download.php?sFName=0.8.10/rpcemu-win32-archive-0.8.10.zip
   https://www.riscosopen.org/zipfiles/misc/HardDisc4.5.20.util
   https://www.riscosopen.org/zipfiles/misc/IOMD-Soft.5.20.zip

2  Unpack rpcemu-win32-archive-0.8.10.zip, change the folder name to
   RPCemu520, and move the folder to C:/Program Files/RPCemu520

3  Unpack IOMD-Soft.5.20.zip and copy the file 'riscos' from
   soft/!Boot/Choices/Boot/PreDesk/!!SoftLoad into RPCemu520/roms

4  Move HardDisc4.5.20.util into RPCemu520/hostfs

5  Double-click RPCemu520/RPCEmu-Recompiler.exe to launch it

6  Ignore the taskmanager error and open Settings > Configure... Set CPU
   = StrongARM, RAM = 128MB, VRAM = 2MB. It is important to do this now,
   to avoid 'ofla, ofla...' errors, later. Click OK, to re-start RPCEmu.

7  *desktop to start the TaskManager

8  At the error 'Machine startup has not completed ...' click Cancel, to
   enter the desktop

9  Click HostFS, on the iconbar, to open the root directory

10 Set the filetype of HardDisc4.5.20/util to Utility, and double-click
   to extract the HardDisc4 directory

11 Double-click HardDisc4, cancel the error 'No Boot application has been
   run...', and move !Boot to HostFS:$

12 Press f12 and issue the following commands

      configure filesystem hostfs
      configure boot

13 Press ctrl-shft-f12 to shutdown, and click the Windows Close button.
   Double-click RPCemu520/RPCEmu-Recompiler.exe to re-launch RPCEmu
   These two actions, in effect, re-start RPCEmu. The Re-Start button,
   on the Shutdown window, should be avoided, because it seems not to
   re-set everything.

14 When RPCemu520/RPCEmu-Recompiler.exe is launched, RPCEmu should now
   boot to the desktop.

15 Configure can be used to set-up the machine generally but, here, we
   will go to networking and assume that the network bridge has been set
   up as in http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/manual/net-win.html . IP
   addresses mentioned below are those entered here, and so may need to
   be changed

16 Open Configure... > System and drag HostFS:$.Network.!System to it.
   Click Merge

17 Open HostFS:$.!Boot.Resources.Configure.!InetSetup.Autosense and
   copy, into it, the BASIC file HostFS:$.Network.Autosense.EtherRPCem

18 Open Settings > Networking. Choose Ethernet Bridging, click OK, to
   re-start RPCEmu

19 Open Configure... > Network > Internet and tick 'Enable TCP/IP
   Protocol Suite'

20 Click Interfaces. Tick EtherRPCem. Click Configure... Enter IP
   address of the RPCEmu (192.168.1.12). Enter the corresponing Netmask
   (255.255.255.0). Choose 'manually', click 'Set', click 'Close'

21 Click Routing. Enter Gateway address (192.168.1.1 = router). Ignore
   the rest of the window. Click 'Set'

22 Click Hostnames. Enter Host name (rpcemu5). Enter Local domain
   (home). Tick 'Try name server too'. Enter 'Primary name server'
   (192.168.1.1 as router). Ignore Secondary and Tertiary name servers.
   'Name resolver module' should read Resolver (Acorn). Double click the
   icon to open Hosts file. Enter the IP addresses, and names of local
   hosts. Save the Hosts file. and close its window. Click 'Set'.

23 Ignore 'User options'

24 Click 'Close', click 'Save', click 'Reset later'. 'Reset now' doesn't
   seem to work properly and, I believe, causes the networking config to
   fail.

25 Ctrl-shft-f12 to shutdown, then exit via the Windows 'Close' icon.
   Double-click RPCEmu-Recompiler.exe to re-launch RPCEmu. Networking
   should now be available.