[Rpcemu] 0.8.10/5.20: MIPS readout oddity

George george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 09:38:55 PDT 2013

In message <a442c27e53.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
          Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2013, Peter Howkins <rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 05:09:40PM +0100, George wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> > Selecting Settings-Reduce CPU Usage doesn't seem to affect the
>> > behaviour.
>>
>> However, this should have kicked in the power-saving stuff. *provided*
>> that the OS starts seeing enough null events, e.g. if you're running a
>> task that uses all spare cpu in risc os, this will have no effect.
>>
>> After about 10 seconds you should see the mips count start to drop ...
>> unless something has changed in RO 5.20 from earlier ...
>
> Here, 'Reduce CPU Usage' seems to be working, with RPCEmu0810/RO520.
> increase to about 150 but, after a few seconds, drops to less than 1.0.
> Scrolling the displayed page, also causes a similar increase, which
> again drops to a low value, when there is no activity.
>
> Recently, Settings > CD-ROM showed 'Disabled' but. in rpc.cfg. I found
> cdrom_enabled = 1. George may find it worth checking, in rpc.cfg, that
> cpu_idle = 1 , in fact.

It doesn't: cpu_idle = 0 in rpc.cfg, even though the CPU is, clearly,
idling correctly! But several items in rpc.cfg bear no relation to
reality:

RPC.CFG                          REALITY
mouse_twobutton = 0              correct
network_type = off               correct, though network is connected
                                 via bridge
mouse_following = 1              correct
cdrom_type = 0                   correct
cdrom_enabled = 1                not according to Configure*
refresh_rate = 60                correct by 'Settings'
stretch_mode = 1                 ?
sound_enabled = 0                correct
vram_size = 2                    correct
cpu_type = ARM610                S/ARM selected in 'Settings'
mem_size = 32                    256MB selected in 'Settings'
ipaddress = 172.31.0.1           RPCEmu here = 192.168.2.2
cpu_idle = 0                     enabled (and seems to be working)

(*just noticed that the RAM disc icon isn't on the icon bar, though it
is selected in Configure-Disks). It was there yesterday: I'll try
rebooting.

George

--
George