[Rpcemu] Risc OS 6.20

Gerald Holdsworth gerald at hollypops.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 08:00:38 PST 2013

On 6 Jan 2013, at 15:44, Tony Moore wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2013, Gerald Holdsworth <gerald at hollypops.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 5 Jan 2013, at 18:25, Peter Howkins wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:56:15PM +0000, Gerald Holdsworth wrote:
>>>> Has anyone managed to get Risc OS 6.20 running on RPCemu 0.8.9?
>>> No, no one has yet.
>>> http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/manual/romimage.html
>>> Peter
>> Cheers for the link - didn't realise that they were compressed.
>> Following the Linux instructions I decompressed the files to get a
>> single 6MB file, which I put into the roms folder, and hey presto, it
>> booted into RISC OS 6.20.
> That's very interesting. Which boot sequence did you use? Clearly the
> 6.20 boot can't work, because that softloads over 4.39 in ROM.
> Using RISC OS, the rom-images can be de-compressed as described in
> http://compgroups.net/comp.sys.acorn.apps/converting-compressed-riscos-rom-images-t/1232757
> This produces a 6MB rom-image, identical to that produced by *save
> 620rom 3800000 3e00000 , as described in the marutan link, above.
> When I try to use 620rom in RPCEmu 0.8.9, on a Windows host, I see
> Error: DataAbort: Abort on data transfer at &0380BE64 (Error number
> &80000002) on a black screen (after the coloured screens) prior to
> entering the wimp.
> Would anyone know of a way around the problem?
> Tony

Interesting - after reading the details on that page, I didn't have any problems.

I started with a 4.39 install (!Boot sequence as well), and ran the RISC OS 6 install within NewUsers directory on the CD. When it got to the bit about installing the soft loadable ROMS, I cancelled the install (as I knew if I continued, it would hang). I then followed the instructions provided on the page to decompress the Select6i1 file (found in NewUsers.Data) and then put them into the roms folder in the RPCemu data folder (in place of the 4.39 ones). Not sure what the Select6i1na file is though - haven't tried that one. Initially, I did just replace the 4.39 ROMs for the 6.20 one, with the 4.39 !Boot sequence, before I went to the trouble of installing the new sequence.

It could be that I am using a Mac to decompress the file, or the Mac version of RPCemu can handle it better. I've still to try the same trick on my Windows PC to see if it works there.

Incidentally, I've got it set up as a 64MB 2MB VRAM SA110 RPC...whether that makes a difference or not.



More information about the Rpcemu mailing list