[Rpcemu] Disc not understood

Peter van der Vos peterthuis at kitt.nl
Mon Jan 21 23:14:06 PST 2013

Op 21 jan. 2013, om 19:41 heeft Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> het volgende geschreven:

> In article <6FF50627-B988-4E27-97C1-1C965E76B11F at kitt.nl>,
>   Peter van der Vos <peterthuis at kitt.nl> wrote:
>
>> Networking is easy because you can use the network of the host machine.
>> The RPCEmulator writes/reads from HostFS, my remote RiscPC uses FTP to
>> access the HostFS part of the disc. This way I can use it almost like
>> connecting two RiscPC's together.
>
>> Op 20 jan. 2013, om 21:56 heeft Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> het volgende geschreven:
>
>>> In article <AFF35C77-DBA3-4C49-AB3C-CE4571362E0C at kitt.nl>,
>>>  Peter van der Vos <peterthuis at kitt.nl> wrote:
>>> [Snippy]

>>> Since when is networking with RPCEmu simple anything?
>>> D.
>>>

> Unfortunately here it is not simple, sure setting it up is quite straight
> forward, but the method used (bridging) means the appearance of my network
> card is changed and so other things tied to that will not work.
>
> If I temporarily un-bridge the Emu connection so other things can network,
> when re-bridged, Emu networking fails, and even a re-boot won't fix it.
> It'll stay broken until I re-do the install process again. again, again...
>
> Really can't be bothered to do that over and over.
>
> Dave
>
> What would work, I guess, if there was some way of forcing the Emu bridge
> to have the required MAC address. (Same as network card).

Sorry, what I didn't make clear is that I don't use the network functions from the Emu. Too much trouble.

What I do is use the HostFS disk. This disk is shared by the host machine (in my case a Mac). My RiscPC can access the shared disk from the host with ftp of samba. This way the RiscPC can read/write files on the hostfs part of the disc.

The emu also read/writes to the hostfs so although the emu doesn't use any network functions, it can still share it disc with other acorn machines.

Peter