[Rpcemu] Network setup question

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 23:47:22 PST 2013

In article <fd735f2853.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>,
   Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2013, Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > Next question relates to ShareFS.
> >
> > All my machines have names attached to their IP address, and those
> > names show up in the ShareFS "Menu-Show discs" window on any RO Sys
> > that's running, however, even though RPCEmu has a name (Blackfan)
> > attached to its address, it doesn't present as the given
> > differentiating name, but presents as HardDisc4 everywhere.

> I believe that the IP address is not relevant to ShareFS. If the disc
> which you are sharing has its icon on the iconbar, Menu > Share > etc
> will create a ShareFS share, with the same name as the disc.

> This doesn't work with HostFS because there is no iconbar Menu. In this
> case, you need an obey file, ShareFS_setup, in boot Tasks, containing
> something like

>    ShareFSWindow 1 { > null: }
>    ShareFSIcon aaa
>    Share HostFS:$ bbb

> where aaa is the name of a remote disc displayed on the local iconbar,
> and bbb is the name allocated to the HostFS share, to be displayed on a
> remote iconbar. The first line ensures ShareFS transfer reliability.

> Tony

Thanks for the thought Tony, though it doesn't appear to be correct. :-(

I already have in Tasks an Obey Shares setup file.
It contains:
ShareFSWindow 1 { > null: }
ShareFSIcon Public

(That gives me just a single icon on every RO install, including RPCEmu,
from which I use the menu to select which RO share I want to activate, as
I don't want them all auto mounted, as that would be a lot of Iconbar real
estate gone.)
It also give Me and She a single directory, common over all the machines
into which we can put stuff for the other person.

If I add to that as you note above, two things happen.
1) I get an error message Filing system or path HostFS not present.
2) I then still get the HardDisc4 icon as the FS link to the Emu machine.
Obviously...

The interesting bit is... With just my plain two line Obey, if all the
Real RPCs are running they all show the names assigned to them in Hosts...
There's nowhere else they are given a name.
Of course with the exception of the RPCEmu install which shows as
HardDisc4 instead of its Host name of Blackfan (Which is also the Host
name of the Win machine)

Hangonamo while I run a VRPC and see what that shows in the ShareFS Show
discs window. (Not something I've really thought about until this Emu
business, because it just worked...)

I'm back...

Okay, the VRPC installs are a bit different, in that no Network
configuration at all is allowed, so the VRPC ShareFS shares are showing
the PC/Host name of the computer [Fan2] it is installed on. (Not HardDisc4
even though the VRPC RO disks are also called that.)

I've just checked both VRPC installs we have, one on a desktop and one on
a laptop, and both show in the ShareFS Discs window as the machine's Host
name not HardDisc4.

My brain hurts...

Any additional thoughts Tony?
Anyone?