[Rpcemu] Network setup question

Tony Moore old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 14:30:43 PST 2013

On 7 Mar 2013, Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <8cc4b62853.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>,
>    Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 7 Mar 2013, Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> > Here, *ShareFSIcon Public adds an icon to the iconbar, from which I
> > can mount any of the available ShareFS shares, but there is no
> > Public directory on this machine. Do you have an actual Public
> > directory - and if so, where? - or is it a device for accessing the
> > ShareFS shares?
>
> It's actually a $.Directory on these machines.

Having created a Public directory in the root of my RiscPC, the ShareFS
Public icon remains greyed-out, and a select click on it does nothing.
However, *share ADFS::ide.$.Public Public causes a share to be created,
the Public icon is no longer greyed-out, and a select click on it opens
the Public directory. The Public directory, on the RiscPC, can also then
be accessed from RPCEmu.

If you are using the Public directory as a container, accessed from any
machine, I believe that the _active_ Public directory exists on only one
machine, and the other machines access its ShareFS share. Try opening
each Public directory, via the _filer_, and compare their contents. It
seems likely that only one of them will have actual content and, lurking
in the boot of that machine, will be a *share ... Public instruction.
Locate should find it.

> > > If I add to that as you note above, two things happen.
> > > 1) I get an error message Filing system or path HostFS not present.
>
> > The *Share HostFS line may appear in the ShareFS setup file, _only_
> > if HostFS is present in the system, ie RPCEmu. The setup file for
> > RPCEmu cannot be the same as for the real RiscPCs.
>
> Sorry, don't understand that?

If you wish to share the HostFS of RPCEmu, the ShareFS setup file, in
RPCEmu boot, could include *Share HostFS:$ Emu_HFS (or whatever).

HostFS is not present in a real RiscPC, so the ShareFS setup file, in
the RiscPC boot, should not refer to HostFS.

> > > 2) I then still get the HardDisc4 icon as the FS link to the Emu
> > > machine. Obviously...
>
> > You could change the name of your RPCEmu ADFS drive but, if you wish
> > to retain the current generic name, try including a line in the
> > ShareFS setup file (for the RPCEmu machine only)
>
> >    *Share ADFS::HardDisc4.$ Blackfan
>
> > where Blackfan is your name for the share (as below)
>
> Yes that does work, but I'm still getting a HardDisc4 share as well in
> the Shares window.

The HardDisc4 share must have been created - it couldn't just happen.
Try searching the RPCEmu !Boot, using Locate, to find files containing
the word Share

Tony