[Rpcemu] A configuration question or two

Tony Moore old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 11 13:12:04 PDT 2013

On 11 Mar 2013, Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <mpro.mji4vk000x6qb01zk.groups at planet3.freeuk.co.uk>,
>    Brian D <groups at planet3.freeuk.co.uk> wrote:
> > Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > I quite often click URLs out of RO into Firefox, and Copy/Paste
> > > text from RO to Win WP or Text editor.
> >
> > Have I missed something? This ability is available in VRPC but I
> > didn't know it was available on RPCEMU. I've just tried it from
> > RISCOS 6.20 and it didn't work. Do you need uniprint?
>
> Yes, or UniServer as I believe it's now called.
>
> With Uniserver active and the underlying host IP address (PC) set in
> the Hosts file, and obviously Uniserver.exe running on the PC, I can
> Copy and paste from RPCEmu apps to the Win Text editor I use, or OvPro
> for Windows etc, additionally and far more important, I can double
> click a URL out of Emu RISC OS directly in to Firefox underneath.

For those without UniServe, John Williams' URLtoIE
http://irene.williams.free.fr/software/urltoie.htm may be of interest:

   This application loads onto the iconbar and provides a conversion
   from an Acorn URI shortcut, an ANT URL shortcut, or a plain text file
   - dragged from, say, NetSurf's URL bar - to an Internet Explorer
   shortcut.

   Thus, if you find something in NetSurf that doesn't work too well -
   perhaps because it uses JavaScript - you can quickly process the
   URL/URI into a form that LanMan will transfer sensibly to your
   'Windows' machine.

Although IE is mentioned, URLtoIE works equally well with Firefox.

Tony