[Rpcemu] RPCEmu 0.8.12 Mac test build

Richard Walker richardwalker at letterboxes.org
Tue Aug 11 13:55:57 PDT 2015

On 11 Aug 2015, at 18:26, Theo Markettos <theo at markettos.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:53:43PM +0100, Richard Walker wrote:
>>
>> https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/RPCEmu%20and%20RISC%20OS%205%20on%20Mac%20OS%20X
>
> That's great!  I just hacked the download links to point to the parent page
> so the page doesn't have to get updated for every version.  It would
> probably make sense for Mac builds to go on the main RPCemu web page once
> they have stabilised - at the moment I'm just throwing things about for
> testing.

I did ponder linking to the parent.  Makes sense, I guess.

Agreed about the main RPCEmu page.  I liked the info on ROOL’s site
when I last saw it, and I like the idea that we can all edit their wiki.

Aso, I didn’t realise the page wasn’t Sprow’s.  Must be my laziness reading
the ‘last edit’ date.  :)

>> As per the previous builds, my MacBook gets hot and the fans come on.
>> I have a vague memory that I need to install something extra to allow
>> the emulated CPU to idle... any tips, anyone?
>
> There is the tickbox in Preferences, however I haven't explored that.  There
> is also a RISC OS program that can be run (comes in the riscos-progs folder)
> - I'm not clear on what the current recommended position is (all this isn't
> specific to Mac as far as I'm aware)

Ah yes, there is indeed an option.  Dunno how I missed that!
Thanks to David (and David!) for pointing that out too.

>> P.S. A couple of minor suggestions:
>>
>> 1) default the CPU to SA110, RAM to 128MB and VRAM to 2MB.
>
> There's not much advantage to being in SA110 mode.  There's also no
> advantage to having VRAM.  It probably makes sense to have the default
> settings the same as the Windows version of RPCEmu so things are consistent.
> Should all versions move to 128MB RAM?

The reason I mentioned the VRAM was because a note somewhere said that
RISC OS 5 might show display corruption without it.

Also, I have found that with the ARM610 CPU emulation, RISC OS 5 is quite
crash-happy.  From a clean-boot, if I wiggle around a filter window, it will
crash with some silly ‘Filer may have gone wrong’.  SA110 is fine.

Has anyone else found this?

I’m sure I read somewhere that the SA110 emulation is the most extensively
used and so the most developed/mature.  I could be mis-remembering.

>> 2) default the sound to on.
>
> Is there a reason why this is not enabled by default?  Is it so on Windows?

Good question.