[Rpcemu] networkimng with windows 10

george greenfield george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 16 09:54:16 PDT 2015

In message <dfc30df454.old_coaster at old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
          Tony Moore <old_coaster at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 14 Aug 2015, Brian D <groups at planet3.freeuk.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Until recently I've had a working system with networking with windows7
>> home premium. I've "upgraded" to windows10, and networking no longer
>> works. I've been through all the settings and can't find anything that
>> has changed.
>
> Having upgraded from Win7 Home Premium to Win10 Home, a few days ago,
[snip]

Did you elect to install Win10, or did you discover that a routine
'upgrade' to Win7 had done it for you? Excuse my paranoia, but stories
of unwanted, automated upgrades to Win10 are circulating
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/13/two_weeks_of_windows_10_how_is_microsoft_doing/

I've switched off automatic upgrade downloading/installing to my Win7
machine: the PC prompts me that an upgrade is available, but I have
the option of scrutinising each patch before installing.

> It seems that Win10 (in common with XP) doesn't preserve the network-
> bridge over a re-boot, so that it is necessary to re-create the bridge,
> for each session. Can you confirm this?
[snip]

If so, this is worrying. RPCEmu is no longer my primary RISC OS
platform, but any decision to return it to this status would depend
upon stable, i.e., surviving reboot, networking.

--
George