[Rpcemu] Patch for HostFS file name translation on Windows

alan buckley alan_baa at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 03:02:08 PST 2015

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 21:42:39 +0000 Peter Howkins wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 01:43:58PM +0000, alan buckley wrote:
>> I’ve attached a patch for hostfs.c (made using diff –u) to fix the
>> problem with
>> the “?”. “<” and “>” characters when they are used in HostFS on Windows.
>> It translates them to “&”, "$" and "^" in Windows which matches some
>> documentation I've seen on DOSFS.
>
> Hiya, do you have a link to the docs anywhere? It'd be useful to check.

The table David Pitt pointed at has the same content as the one I looked
at (but I forgot to make a note of where I got it from assuming Google
would find it).
http://www.riscos.com/support/developers/prm/dosfs.html

As we are on Windows, not DOS now, I only used the characters that
caused a problem on Windows.

> One other consideration is whether these should apply to linux as well,
> they are not required for operation, but are needed if you want to be able
> to take a hostfs image from linux to windows or vice versa.

If you wanted to apply them to linux, just take the #ifdefs from the patch.
I can definitely see the benefit as I do zip stuff up in Windows from
HostFS and unzip it to a linux HostFS using tools outside of RPCEmu.
As the characters on the Windows side aren't valid in RISC OS filenames, it
would also allow linux users to be able to deal with linux files with
these characters inside RPCEmu.

Regards,
Alan