[Rpcemu] RPCEmu and MacOSX

Martin rinfo at avisoft.f9.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 07:37:12 PDT 2016

In article <20160421123610.GD11090 at chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
   Theo Markettos <theo at markettos.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:24:10PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> > On RISC OS, if I want to copy a file from the current directory in
> > Documents into another directory and then start an application in one
> > go, I just have to create an Obey file containing something like...
> >
> >     *Copy <Obey$Dir>.source <Obey$Dir>.^.RPCEmu.hostfs.target F~C~V
> >     *Run  <Apps$Dir>.!RPCEmu
> >
> > How can that Obey file be translated to Mac speak?
> >
> > I am then planning to set RISC OS to run my application at boot, then
> > shut itself down if all ok.

> How about something like:

> #!/bin/sh
> PARENT_DIR=$(dirname $0)
> HOSTFS_DIR=$HOME/Library/Application\ Support/RPCEmu/hostfs
> cp -a $PARENT_DIR/source $HOSTFS_DIR/target
> open /Applications/RPCEmu.app

Thanks Theo, I think I can sort of follow what that is doing.
The last two lines are pretty obvious - I hope the middle two lines work
as the syntax is not (yet) obvious to me.
Is the # a comment line?
Is the 'obey' file just a text file, called anything, with no suffix?

> (that assumes you put RPCEmu in /Applications and didn't change the
> default hostfs location)

Yes indeed - I tried to follow your excellent instructions to the letter!
The RPCEmu application is in Applications, and the data directory in
Documents.

I also now have little RISC OS programs to open a Command window and do a
Shutdown, which I think will remove the need for FN keys.

Thanks
Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader