[Rpcemu] Config-free networking work-in-progress (was: Patch for 0.9.1 - Mac keyboard support)

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Sun Nov 25 15:32:42 PST 2018

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 07:32:32PM +0000, Matthew Howkins wrote:
> I have previously done some work integrating Slirp with RPCEmu, and got
> further than you, because I can send and receive network packets :)

That's good to know.  I'm sure your proof-of-concept is better than mine :)

(I have previously dug out the QEMU networking code on another project, but
quite a lot of QEMU came with it.  We should be releasing this in a few
weeks, but I don't think the codebase will necessarily be helpful here)

> I expect that there's still a lot to do on networking, but the long-term
> plan is definitely to go with Slirp (or if not Slirp, something
> equivalent). This would become the recommended networking option, and the
> most portable option.

That sounds like a good plan.  It would seem to make more sense to work on
that rather than platform-specific TUN/TAP code.

Theo