[Rpcemu] Installing to Linux

Peter Howkins rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net
Mon May 11 11:23:27 PDT 2020

On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 21:40, Andrew Hodgkinson <ahodgkin at riscosopen.org>
wrote:

> On 11 May 2020, at 2:25, John McCartney wrote:
>
> [...] interpreter or the dynamic recompiler [...]
> What's the difference and on what basis should I base my
> decision?
>
> The interpreter is slow but accurate, treating each ARM instruction
> sequence it encounters as if it were the for first time and translating
> them over and over. The recompiler tries to remember previously converted
> sequences, which increases speed a great deal but because of the
> complexities of CPUs and the recompilation process, this can reduce
> emulation accuracy and cause problems with some pieces of software.
>
> I recommend you build both. Use the recompiler version normally, but if
> you encounter crashes you wouldn't expect from a normal RISC OS machine,
> switch to the interpreter version.

A bit more info here; I'll try to remember to update the compile pages to
link to what the different builds are.

The most important thing is to report as bugs things that don't work in the
recompiler but do in the interpreter, it's not that the recompiler *can't*
be as accurate, it's just that it isn't. Unreported bugs are much less
likely to get fixed.

Peter