[Rpcemu] Installing to Linux

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 28 08:18:50 PDT 2020

In article <586ea4eea9j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk>, John
McCartney <j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> In article
> <E539569F-EAD9-4DC9-A65C-E090972FEAF8 at riscosopen.org>,
>    Andrew Hodgkinson <ahodgkin at riscosopen.org> wrote:
> > On 11 May 2020, at 2:25, John McCartney wrote:

> > I recommend you build both. Use the recompiler version
> > normally, but if you encounter crashes you wouldn't
> > expect from a normal RISC OS machine, switch to the
> > interpreter version.

> Thanks Andrew. I'll build the interpreter version first
> and see how I get on with it. I might well be back to ask
> more questions.

I knew I'd be back.

I decided to go for the recompiler version first and, after
much confusion (self-induced), I finally managed to get it
to compile and ended up with the contents of my folder
(rpcemu-0.9.3) appearing as in the attached image.

The appearance of files for 0.9.3 is different to how they
appeared for 0.8.15 which I tried a couple of years ago. I
abandoned that version because of networking difficulties.

Despite looking like a text file (which I know it isn't) it
runs just fine when invoked with ./rpcemu-recompiler.
However, I don't want to have to go into the terminal every
time I want to run RISC OS. I made a link to the executable
(is that the right description in Linux?) and dragged it to
the desktop but it just asked me to choose a program to
start it. I couldn't see a likely candidate in the program
list so I backed out. Is there a way to run the program
from the desktop?

John

--
John McCartney